Friday, February 12, 2010

Madness Indeed!

Rating: 3.5/5

Review: There were seven of Poe's stories featured in this book, and I genuinely liked three of them. The others simply did not hold my interest at all. The ones that I did like, were, The Raven (one of my absolute favorites), The Tell-Tale Heart (wonderfully spooky), and Ligeia (I've never read a woman's beauty described in such a wondrous way). All of the tales had madness in common, of course. I also noticed that Opium seemed to be Poe's drug of choice. Revenge was featured more than once, as well. I wonder if the stories I couldn't get into would have been better read allowed. I will have to try out an audio version of Poe's stories. I have a feeling that it would be quite enjoyable, and of course, spooky.

Book Description: For over one hundred years, Edgar Allen Poe has awed and thrilled his readers with horrific stories of tragedy, death, and fear. This collection of some of his most famous tales will excite and remind us that, although the author lived many years ago, his grasp of human emotion is as poignant as ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My daughter (10) and I read a Poe collection a while ago and she thinks Poe's the greatest poet every