Saturday, March 13, 2010

What's a Wife to Do?




Rating: 4/5

Review: I loved the movie starring Meryl Streep, so I was looking forward to reading the book it was based on. It's quite different, of course, but good. I felt sorry for Rachel, a mom of a two-year-old, another one on the way, and having to deal with a cheating husband. The author seems to want her readers to believe that this happens in all marriages. The cheating part I mean. It does make me wonder. Are all marriages doomed in one way or another? Is infidelity only a matter of time? I don't really think so. I've seen plenty of happy marriages where neither spouse cheated, and they are still quite content with one another. This book wasn't all gloom and doom, though. There are some great comedic moments, and even several recipes thrown in for good measure. I may even try making a few. In fact, this may have inspired a new blog. something along the lines of Reading and Cooking. Not sure yet. I'll have to dwell on it for a while. In any case, this book was a brisk and fun read, with a slightly dramatic undertone.
Book Description:
Seven months into her pregnancy, Rachel Samstat discovers that her husband, Mark, is in love with another woman. The fact that the other woman has "a neck as long as an arm and a nose as long as a thumb and you should see her legs" is no consolation. Food sometimes is, though, since Rachel writes cookbooks for a living. And in between trying to win Mark back and loudly wishing him dead, Ephron's irrepressible heroine offers some of her favorite recipes. Heartburn is a sinfully delicious novel, as soul-satisfying as mashed potatoes and as airy as a perfect soufflé.

No comments: