Thursday, July 8, 2010

That Girl Has Real Brain Power



My Rating: 4/5

Review: This is the second book my son and I have read together, and it wasn't quite as enjoyable as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by the same author. Surprisingly, I liked the movie version much better. That may have been my problem, since I was expecting the book to be a little more magical like the movie. There is very little magic, and what does happen comes late in the story. Still, Matilda is a very interesting little character, and her abilities are extraordinary without all the magic. She is a five-year-old girl who has read the entire children's section of the library and has moved on to books like Anna Karenina and Moby Dick. She reads anything and everything. She is a whiz at math, too. She's also a spunky little thing who will stand up to anyone, even the very mean and scary Miss Trunchbull. My son's favorite part was when the boy is forced to eat the chocolate cake. I have to admit, that was a good bit, but I liked the library visits the best. Just imagine a little girl consuming every book she can get her hands on. Wonderful!

Book Description: Matilda Wormwood is brilliant, sensitive and brilliant. But her parents treat her as a scab, not a daughter—a scab to be endured until the time comes to flick her away to the next county, or preferably farther. But her father (car salesman) and mother (with platinum hair) are no match for her sharp genius. And when she is attacked by Miss Trunchbull, the headmistress, Matilda discovers she has an extraordinary psychic power that can save her school and her lovely teacher, Miss Honey.

No comments: