Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge- The Raven by Edgar Allen poe

Rating: 5/5

Review: It's the ultimate in spookiness. I loved it. In fact, I am actually reading a small collection of Poe's work, entitled, Tales of Madness. In The Raven, the man seems to have been driven mad by the loss of his Lenore. I'm not very good at interpreting poems, but there are words and phrases featured that give it a profound effect. Like, "Night's Plutonian Shore", and "ominous bird of yore". It should be read out loud by candle light, with the wind howling outside the windows, and lightening illuminating the sky. That's the kind of spookiness The Raven invokes within me.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

My son loves Edgar Allen Poe--so much that we gave him a book of the complete works for his birthday recently. Then my daughter and her friend said they had never heard of him. How is that possible? So I had to read them some of this to see if it rang a bell. Nope. I'm going to have to have a word with the English teachers at her high school!

Weena said...

No kidding!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I remember this Gilmore Girl episode well... the Poe's!