Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kvothe Returns At Last



My Rating: 4/5

Review:
I am going to liken this book to what I imagine a hike on the Appalachian Trail to be; long, tedious at times, but extraordinary. Patrick Rothfuss has such a beautiful and magical way with words that I am astounded with every page. Still, this book did not have quite the magic and thrill the first book in the trilogy posessed. The beginning was like a happy reunion. All of the characters I have grown fond of were there. The mishaps and intrigue of daily life at the university was an endless delight. Then it started growing darker and slightly less entertaining for a bit. There was still eloquence on every page, but there were tedious moments too. After that, it changed between merely interesting and moderately exciting. I hope the author will forgive me for saying so, but it felt very indulgent at times. I can still say that I loved the book, however, and I will try my best to wait patiently for the next installment. It's going to be difficult, but I will try.

Book Description: For nearly four years, fantasy and science fiction enthusiasts have been eagerly awaiting this second volume to Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. The first volume, The Name of the Wind, won the prestigious Quill Award and was recently voted as the third-best SFF novel of the decade on Tor.com. In this linchpin book of the trilogy, Kvothe continues his perilous search for answers about the Chandrian even as he grapples with more pressing dangers.

No comments: