Thursday, March 22, 2012

Curiouser and Curiouser



My Rating: 3/5

Review: I read this book with my son. We were both entertained for the most part, but there were a couple of chapters that were a bit tedious. There isn't a single movie or cartoon version out there, I don't believe, that has been completely true to the book. Yet, they were far more enjoyable I dare say. The book is just so ridiculous, but I suppose that was the true theme of the story, so there you go.

Book Description: For more than 130 years, children have reveled in the delightfully non-moralistic, non-educational virtues of this classic. In fact, at every turn, Alice's new companions scoff at her traditional education. The Mock Turtle, for example, remarks that he took the "regular course" in school: Reeling, Writhing, and branches of Arithmetic-Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision. Carroll believed John Tenniel's illustrations were as important as his text. Naturally, Carroll's instincts were good; the masterful drawings are inextricably tied to the well-loved story.

No comments: